This orange, tomato-shaped fruit not only has a smooth texture and sweet taste, it is also loaded with various nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants vital for optimum health.
Persimmon is commonly used in a variety of baked goods, jams, jellies, pudding, and as salad toppings.
- Aid healthy digestion and alleviate bowel movement related issues with persimmon’s fiber-rich content
- Boost heart health as persimmon consists of flavonoid antioxidants and tannins, which can reduce blood pressure, lower inflammation, decrease cholesterol level and support healthy heart
- Help with diabetes as persimmon contains bioactive molecules such as proanthocyanidin, carotenoids, tannins, ﬂavonoids, anthocyanidin and catechin that fight against diabetes. Persimmon can also help regulate blood sugar level and curb the hunger level as it is rich in fiber
- Improve production of red blood cells as the copper in persimmon supports proper iron absorption
- Keep liver healthy due to the presence of antioxidants that lower the effect of toxic materials and prevent cell damage
- Reduce inflammation being rich in antioxidant vitamin C. One persimmon delivers 20% of the recommended daily vitamin C intake.
- Strengthen immunity being a good source of vitamin C
- Support healthy vision with high vitamin A, lutein and zeaxanthin. One persimmon provides 55% of the recommended vitamin A intake
- Support weight loss being a low calories and high fiber food which help to increase satiety
- Protect against cancer with the presence of antioxidants, vitamin A and betulinic acid
1 fruit (2-1/2″ dia) (168g)
Healthy Recipe Ideas:
1. Escarole with persimmons, pomegranate seeds, and lemon-shallot vinaigrette: https://www.marthastewart.com/343408/escarole-with-persimmons-pomegranate-see
2. Healthy persimmons bread: http://onehungrybunny.com/healthy-persimmons-bread-recipe/
3. Persimmon banana breakfast cookies: https://toasterovenlove.com/persimmon-banana-breakfast-cookies/
4. Persimmon, beet, and citrus salad: https://www.marthastewart.com/1133546/persimmon-beet-and-citrus-salad
5. Ricotta, honey, and cracked pepper persimmon toast: https://www.mydiaryofus.com/blog/2014/10/27/ricotta-honey-and-cracked-pepper-persimmon-toast?rq=persimmon